Making theatre accessible for all
SOUND OFF takes place each winter as part of the larger Chinook Series festival.
Chinook Series is Edmonton’s international curated arts series and runs February 8th to 18th, 2018. It showcases the most acclaimed contemporary art taking place across Alberta, the nation, and the world. Bringing together dynamic, daring, and cutting edge artists across five distinct performance streams, Chinook offers the best in theatre, dance, music, spoken word, and performance art.
In keeping with SOUND OFF's dedication to accessibility for all audiences, we strive to work with our producing partners, Azimuth Theatre, Edmonton Fringe Theatre, Workshop West Playwrights’ Theatre and Black Arts Matter to ensure that their Chinook performances and events are accessible for all attendees.
Other ASL interpreted performances and events
All performances and events for SOUND OFF feature ASL interpretation where required. In additional, all Black Arts Matter (BAM) performances feature ASL interpretation.
SOUND OFF has made arrangements with our producing partners to provide ASL interpretation for the following performances:
- Thursday, February 8th
- Paradise at 7 PM
- Broken Tailbone at 9 PM
- Friday, February 9th
- Expanse: Script Excerpts at 1 PM
- Broken Tailbone at 7 PM
- Paradise at 8:45 PM
- Saturday, February 10th
- Hole in the Sky at 7 PM
- Infinite Mercies Album Release at 8:30 PM
- Sunday, February 11th
- The Sky Talks at 5:30 PM
- Black Girl Magic: Sunkiss x The Gathering at 7 PM
- Hole in the Sky at 8:30 PM
- Tuesday, February 13th
- Lake of Strangers - 3 PM
- Thursday, February 15th
- Unrepentant Necrophile at 8:30 PM
- Friday, February 16th
- Oozeela Iola Selassie at 10:30 PM
- Saturday, February 17th
- Dirt Buffet #31: What (Black) Life Requires at 7 PM
- Sunday, February 18th
- Unrepentant Necrophile at 2 PM
In addition, Coast to Coast (Tuesday, February 13 at 8:30 PM and Wednesday, February 14th at 7 PM) will feature Deaf and hard of hearing friendly performances.
For a full list of shows and show descriptions, please see: www.chinookseries.ca
All Salon series discussions as part of the Chinook Series will feature ASL interpretation. These discussions take place everyday during the festival from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM in the Arts Barns lobby. Admission is free.
For a full listing of Salon events, please see this link: http://chinookseries.ca/in-the-salon/
In addition to SOUND OFF's workshops, a select number of workshops done by our producing partners will feature ASL interpretation. These are:
- Performance Lab - Chinook Series
- Sunday, February 11th from 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Sunday February 18th from 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Sunday, February 11th from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
There are a number of workshops for which interpretation can be requested with a minimum of 48 hours advance notice:
- Awaken - A BAM Workshop Series
- Monday, February 12th from 1 PM to 6 PM
- You Move Me
- Wednesday, February 14th from 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Intimacy for the Stage with Siobhan Richardson
- Friday, February 16th from 10 AM to 5 PM
For more information about the available workshops, please see: http://chinookseries.ca/workshops/
Opening and Closing Ceremonies
There will be two events that will bookend the start and finish of the Chinook Series and both will feature ASL interpretation.
- Chinook Kick Off / BAM! Opening Night at 5:30 PM in the Arts Barns lobby
- Circle up! Closing Night Celebration at 8 PM at the Westbury Theatre